CANADA’S SUSTAINABLE FASHION AWARD
FINALIST SHOWCASE & WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT
OCT 3 | TORONTO
Over 10 days, EDIT will transform a 150,000 square foot abandoned factory into an ultramodern world where design, innovation and technology are the solutions to today’s grand challenges.
Produced by Design Exchange, in partnership with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), this groundbreaking expo-meets-festival will shift perspectives and ignite conversations.
Join us at the Design Forward Finals. Come early to enjoy the full Expo!
CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR 3 FINAL DESIGNERS!
After our 10 semi-finalists showed 3 looks each on our Design Forward Runway in May, our Jury of 10 Experts narrowed the list down to 3 Finalists using a scorecard that evaluated each designer’s Sustainability Initiatives, Overall Design & Business Acumen.
The top 3 scores are our Design Forward 2017 Finalists who will be showcasing in a Final Presentation on October 3rd at EDIT (Expo for Design Innovation & Technology).
This evening cocktail reception allows guests an intimate opportunity to meet and connect with each designer, to learn their personal stories and to spend time with their collections.
Don’t miss the Design Forward Finals – OCT 3
Design Forward Jury & Mentors
Our jury is made up of fashion industry professionals who will also act as mentors to the winner by donating 1 hour of their time within the first 6 months of the award.
- Barbara Atkin, Business Mentor, Influencer, Retired VP Fashion Direction Holt Renfrew
- Robin Kay, President of the Fashion Design Council of Canada, Business Mentor & Influencer
- Odessa Paloma Parker, Former Fashion Editor at the Globe & Mail
- Anjli Patel, Fashion Lawyer
- Tara St. James, Designer & Founder of Study NY
- Adria Vasil, Journalist
- Sarah Jay, Fashion Stylist, Activist & Filmmaker
- Sarah Power, Founder of INLAND
- Jeff Rustia, Executive Director & Founder of TOM + TW Toronto Women’s Fashion Week
- Michelle Germain, Founder of Shopgirls Gallery Boutique
criteria: 50% Design, 50% Sustainability
In order to make the Semi-Finals (presentation took place May 27th), 10 Designers were selected based on design, and their sustainability initiatives. We know that perfection doesn’t exist, so we celebrate progress. The 10 semi-finalists had to meet at least one of the following criteria in order to apply (those with more scored higher):
- Fair Trade
- Locally Made
- Organic, sustainable or recycled fabrics
- Upcycled or repurposed
- Natural, non toxic dyes
- Zero Waste
- Slow Fashion (not mass produced, quality-made garments)
See you at the Design Forward Finals!
Design Forward 2017 Vanguard Award
We are excited to award Annie Thompson with our special Vanguard Award for 2017. Annie has not only been leading the Canadian fashion design community for more than 30 years, but she has also managed to keep her production local, while also sourcing upcycled and sustainable materials. In addition, Annie has gone above and beyond promoting the sustainable fashion movement. We are thrilled to recognize Annie’s success, where she was presented with her award at our May 27th runway event.