CANADA’S SUSTAINABLE FASHION AWARD
CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR 2017 WINNER:
PEGGY SUE COLLECTION
After our 10 semi-finalists showed 3 looks each on our Design Forward Runway in May, our Jury of 10 Experts narrowed the list down to 3 Finalists using a scorecard that evaluated each designer’s Sustainability Initiatives, Overall Design & Business Acumen.
The top 3 scores are our Design Forward 2017 Finalists: Omi Woods, Triarchy and Peggy Sue Collection. Each of them participated in our Finals Presentation & Showcase on October 3rd at EDIT – Expo for Design Innovation & Technology
This evening cocktail reception allowed guests an intimate opportunity to meet and connect with each finalist, to learn their personal stories and to spend time with their collections.
We are thrilled that Peggy Sue Collection is the 2017 Winner, and we are proud of all 3 finalists and how much they have accomplished!
Design Forward Jury & Mentors
Our jury is made up of fashion industry professionals who will also provide mentorship to Peggy Sue Collection by donating 1 hour of their time within the first 6 months of the award.
- Barbara Atkin, Business Mentor, Influencer, Retired VP Fashion Direction Holt Renfrew
- Robin Kay, Founder, Toronto Fashion Week, President of the Fashion Design Council of Canada
- Odessa Paloma Parker, Former Fashion Editor at the Globe & Mail, Currently Head of Content at TS Brand Co.
- Anjli Patel, Fashion Lawyer
- Tara St. James, Designer & Founder of Study NY
- Adria Vasil, Journalist
- Sarah Jay, Fashion Stylist, Activist & Filmmaker
- Sarah Power, Founder of INLAND
- Jeff Rustia, Executive Director & Founder of TOM + TW Toronto Women’s Fashion Week
- Michelle Germain, Founder of Shopgirls Gallery Boutique
criteria: 50% Design, 50% Sustainability
In order to make the Semi-Finals (presentation took place May 27th), 10 Designers were selected based on design, and their sustainability initiatives. We know that perfection doesn’t exist, so we celebrate progress. The 10 semi-finalists had to meet at least one of the following criteria in order to apply (those with more scored higher):
- Fair Trade
- Locally Made
- Organic, sustainable or recycled fabrics
- Upcycled or repurposed
- Natural, non toxic dyes
- Zero Waste
- Slow Fashion (not mass produced, quality-made garments)
Design Forward 2017 Vanguard Award
We are excited to award Annie Thompson with our special Vanguard Award for 2017. Annie has not only been leading the Canadian fashion design community for more than 30 years, but she has also managed to keep her production local, while also sourcing upcycled and sustainable materials. In addition, Annie has gone above and beyond promoting the sustainable fashion movement. We are thrilled to recognize Annie’s success, where she was presented with her award at our May 27th runway event.