Term: Minimum 2 years, 2-5 hours/month
Start Date: April 2023
Compensation: This is a volunteer position
Location: FTA is based in Toronto but we are open to applications from across Canada
Application Deadline: March 31, 2023
Fashion Takes Action is looking for a financially-savvy, numbers geek with a professional accounting designation to join the board of directors as Treasurer.
About Fashion Takes Action
Fashion Takes Action (FTA) is Canada’s first non-profit fashion industry organization focused on sustainability. We work with industry and consumers, with the goal to shift behaviour toward more positive social and environmental impacts.
Summary of the Role
The Treasurer will play a key role in overseeing the financial management of FTA; provide leadership on the board related to financial matters; and ensure financial compliance with CRA.
A) Oversee financial matters
• Oversee, and present budgets, accounts, management accounts and financial statements to the board of directors.
• Ensure that proper accounts and records are kept, ensuring financial resources are spent and invested in line with the organization’s policies, good governance, legal and regulatory requirements.
• Develop and implement financial, reserves and investment policies as required.
• Act as a counter‐signatory as needed.
B) Assume a leadership role on board committee or initiatives related to financial matters
• Maintain sound financial management of FTA’s resources, ensuring expenditure is in line with FTA’s objectives and budget.
• Implement and monitor financial controls and ensure proper systems are in place.
• Chair the finance committee and report back to the board of directors.
• Liaise with FTA’s Executive Director and bookkeeper, where applicable, to ensure that FTA’s accounts are compliant with the CRA guidelines.
• Contribute to the fundraising strategy of the organization.
• Liaise with FTA’s auditors or independent examiner, where appropriate. Monitoring and advising on the financial viability of FTA after liaising with the auditors.
C) Ensure the financial returns are completed in an accurate and timely manner.
• Be aware of CRA policies/regulatory requirements with respect to financial compliance.
• Ensure all required financial records are available to support CRA reporting expectations.
• Work collaboratively with other officers and staff to ensure financial reports are submitted to CRA in an accurate and timely manner.
• Ensure the board of directors is properly involved in reviewing and approving the information related to the financial reports.
Qualifications & Experience
Professional accounting designation
Experience with non-profits is preferred
Awareness of environmental issues and sustainability
Interest in fashion
Strong written and verbal communication skills
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity, you are invited to submit a cover letter and your resumé in PDF file to Kelly Drennan, Executive Director, at [email protected]
Fashion Takes Action is committed to creating a Board of Directors that reflects the diversity of the populations we serve. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including applicants from all cultures and backgrounds, racialized communities, diverse sexual and gender identities, and physical or mental abilities. We are committed to a selection process and work environment that is inclusive and barrier-free. We also encourage applicants to self-identify if they wish to do so.