Application Deadline: January 6, 2023
Position Title: Communications Specialist – Full time
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Canada (virtual)
Fashion Takes Action is Canada’s premier not for profit organization, established in 2007, with a mission to advance sustainability, ethics and circularity in the entire fashion system. Our role is to remove barriers to sustainability through education, awareness, research and collaboration.
FTA believes that diverse and inclusive teams are critical to our success. Our ability to draw on a variety of perspectives enables us to provide more focused, innovative, and relevant programs. We strive, each and every day, to foster and maintain an inclusive work environment in which team members can bring their true selves to work; difference is embraced; and everyone has an equal opportunity to succeed.
The Communications Specialist will develop and implement communications, marketing and PR support as it relates to FTA’s strategic direction and programming. We are looking for someone with a demonstrated interest in, and strong knowledge of the sustainable fashion landscape. The role requires excellent written communication skills with proven experience in strategy, content creation, community engagement and email marketing.
Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
- Develop the annual communications strategy
- Press release writing, pitching and onsite media management at events
- Planning and execution of all social media communication across multiple channels (IG, FB, TikTok, Twitter & LI), including content creation (copy and graphics), filming and editing original content as necessary
- Work closely with the FTA team to create cohesive narratives, ensuring content is on-brand, search- and social-optimized and positioned to target different audience segments (eg. fashion industry / public)
- Community management – responding to comments and inquiries via social feeds and sharing when appropriate
- Assist in the creation of marketing materials for education, awareness or research purposes including presentations and reports
- Lead design and content of three monthly e-newsletters to different audiences, deployed through Mailchimp
- Website updates via WordPress
- Contribute to FTA blog content (both internally and externally-sourced)
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or similar discipline required
- Work or volunteer experience in the not-for-profit sector preferred
- Minimum three to five years related work experience in a strategic communications role
- Excellent organizational, planning, influence and follow-up skills. Must be articulate, sensitive to confidential information and have a high degree of integrity
- Ability to work on a broad scope of projects ranging from enterprise-wide initiatives to single-focus
- Highly social media literate and adept at all platforms (TikTok, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.) and how users engage with each to deliver entertaining and educational content experiences
- Must be a creative and strategic thinker with good judgment and ability to make independent decisions in a changing environment.
- Experience writing press releases and pitching to media for coverage
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks and competing project priorities with shifting deadlines and deliverables in a fast-paced environment
- Experience working in a remote environment that relies heavily on Zoom for the majority of communications
- Highly detail oriented, with exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Ability to plan and action a project, from beginning to end, with little oversight
- Ability to think quickly and analyze complex communication issues
- Good relationship management skills; ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Experience and strong capabilities in Word, Canva, Google Suite, Hootsuite, Zoom, Mailchimp, WordPress required (Survey Monkey an asset)
- Proven and very strong written and verbal communication skills in English (French an asset but not required)
- Experience planning and executing events a strong asset
- Public speaking an asset
- Has an existing network of fashion brands and retailers, industry associations, government agencies and ministries, granting organizations, sponsors, speakers and collaborative partners (local, national and global), an asset but not required
Salary Range: $57,000 – $65,000 for 40 hours/week
Work Schedule: 5 days a week
Location: Virtual (the successful applicant will be expected to have access to their own office and computer). The FTA team lives in Toronto and works from home, but will meet up occasionally to work together. Please only apply if you live in Canada.
Vacation: 2 weeks +1 week Winter Shutdown
Wellness/Sick Days: minimum 4 Days (accumulating one/month up to 10 max/year)
Personal Days: 2 Days
Start date: January 2023 (to be discussed with selected candidate)
Fashion Takes Action is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We therefore strongly encourage those who self-identify as racialized, Indigenous (First Nations, Metis, or Inuit) or LGBTQ2+ to apply for this position.
Frequently cited statistics show that women and underrepresented groups apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. We encourage you to break that statistic and apply. No one meets 100% of the criteria. We look forward to your application.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to: [email protected] with the subject line “Communications Specialist”.