We are all guilty of opening our closet to reveal a wardrobe full of clothes only to say “I have nothing to wear.” So what do we do? Fill a few garbage bags, drop them off at our local donation centre with the peace of mind that our unwanted clothing will make its way to those in need, and go on to purchase our next crop of trend items. Six months later, the process repeats. North Americans have become accustomed to this harmful cycle of buying and donating at a severely high rate and despite what we may believe, 60% of apparel ends up in landfill within the first year of its life.
So how do we update our wardrobe without harming the planet?
What is a clothing swap?
Each person brings a few items (in good condition) that they are ready to part with and receives one token per donated item. Maybe a dress you wore once to a wedding or a pair of pants that no longer fit. They are then able to redeem their tokens for other items at the swap! The event brings communities together and makes shopping social again while closing the loop on fashion waste.
Swapping is not only fun and good for the planet, it reattaches an emotional capacity to our clothing. Often times, the most valuable items in our closet are not the most expensive, they are the ones that carry the most personal significance; perhaps our mother’s vintage Levi’s or our grandmother’s necklace. These pieces are valuable for their story and for the life they had before making their way into your closet. Swapping reimagines this idea and allows shoppers to collect pieces that have been passed on by others in their own community. Instead of going to landfill, these items continue their life…hopefully in your closet!
Give me the Fashion Takes Action swap details!
Thursday, February 8, 2018
5:00 PM – 9:00 PM EST
192 Spadina Avenue
Toronto, ON M5T
- Find quality and stylish items in your closet that you’re ready to part with. Be sure to check they are in good condition (not stained or torn), washed (no pet hair or odours) and presentable (creases ok, but not completely wrinkled).
- Clothing drop-off in advance is preferred and they will be on Thursday February 1st at the Centre for Social Innovation Annex on the ground floor (by the cafe) at 720 Bathurst St and on Tuesday February 6th at the Centre for Social Innovation Spadina (215 Spadina Ave. 4th floor). Drop-offs must be between 10:00am-2:30pm for both days. Please ask for Fashion Takes Action when you arrive. The advantage for those who drop- off in advance is that you will not have to wait in line at the door.
- Purchase your ticket on eventbrite (https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fashion-takes-action-swap-social-tickets-42202674335)($5 in advance), otherwise it is $10 at the door. No need to print your ticket as we will have a guest list with your name on it.
- Come to 192 Spadina Ave on Thursday February 8th. From 5-6pm we will be accepting drop offs and mingling with the community! Doors for the Swap will open at 6pm for a super fun evening!
- Limit of 20 items max. All un-swapped items will be donated to a charity recycler.
- Each item of clothing accepted into the swap gets you 1 token to use toward a new-to-you item.
- Please stick only to clothing, bags, hats, scarves, belts and shoes. We will NOT accept jewellery or hair accessories. Swimwear, yoga/workout wear and lingerie while also NOT accepted into the swap.
- We will accept your swappable items the day of the event, however you will have to wait in line for us to go through and check all items (in our experience not all items will make it to the swap). To avoid this line, we recommend you drop your items off to us during the provided dates/times.
- No kids clothing. Only adult sizing. Menswear is welcome!
- We have the right to refuse any item.
- All tokens are non refundable! Try and use them all, but you can feel good knowing all leftover items are being recycled.
- If you run out of tokens you can purchase 2 for $5!
- Drinks (wine & beer) will be available for $5 each.
- Fashion Takes Action Essential Members will be selling their beautiful creations!
- Change room and mirror will be provided to try on items.
Make sure to invite your friends and family to this FABULOUS event!
See you there!